What is ALCI?
The Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland is known as ALCI. ALCI is an All-Ireland Association representing and promoting International Board Certified Lactation Consultants, known as ‘IBCLC’s’ in Ireland, as an unincorporated society. It is run by a voluntary council of IBCLC’s assisted by administrative support. The primary responsibility is to provide education services to members and other health care workers concerned with breastfeeding and human lactation. Area’s prioritised are educational events, growing the profile of ALCI, and encouraging and supporting those on the path to becoming an IBCLC.
Read more about ALCI here.
- Provide for education, research, communication, networking and mutual support among International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and other health care workers concerned with breastfeeding and human lactation. The term health care worker is used to describe any person working in any capacity within the health system, whether in private or public services, education including students, research, employed, self-employed or volunteer.
- Foster Universal Awareness of IBCLC as the necessary qualification for International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC), Clinical Midwife/Nurse Specialists, (C.M/N.S.), practising in the Irish Health Care Services, either in Hospital settings, Community settings, or in Private Practice in Ireland.
- Act as the advisory authority on issues relating to breastfeeding and human lactation.
- Raise awareness of breastfeeding and human milk feeding as essential components for health, well-being, and disease prevention.
- Support the WHO Code and the implementation of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk substitutes and all subsequent resolutions of the World Health Assembly, and heighten the recognition of the consequences of Commercial breastmilk substitutes and Advertisements of same.
- Support other initiatives and organisations whose aims are consistent with the purpose and mission of the Association.
- Ensure that the necessary structure and supports are in place to facilitate the development and activities of the Association.
Read more about ALCI here.
ALCI’s website has a dedicated section for parents with valuable resources, articles, and FAQs related to breastfeeding, community support available to them, see here. ALCI website is where you can get a list of Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants, see here.
ALCI has also dedicated a section of their website to Healthcare Providers. They focused on showcasing the resourced available, while highlighting the courses and talks that they can avail of to keep up to date on Breastfeeding and chestfeeding information. They have also dedicated an information page on the educational steps to take to become an Internationally qualified IBCLC. See here for more details.